Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The classical hand of Kris Lewis [nsfw]

Kris Lewis, is the kind of contemporary portrait painter I get most excited about. There's something inherently clever about depicting modern people/situations/locations with a very academic and traditional visual language. It makes the familiar and everyday kind of alien and from-another-time looking.

Maybe it's just I enjoy rich oil painting with a historical feel that can, all of the sudden, have a cell phone in it. Lewis does this somewhat. It's like the work of a Baroque painter who has been warped into the future. Pretty fresh. Or maybe it's that I've always wanted a portrait of myself done and some sort of historic general or something. (Kris, if you find this, I'll sit for a portrait so email me!)

Or maybe I'm jut tired of all the 'dark kawaii' stuff that's been pouring out of every painters' studio in the last 10 years.  Nah, good painting is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...